Wednesday, November 17, 2010

VISTA LIGHTS 2010


(Above: At Rest, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt Series. Crayon on vintage Victorian sleeping gown, custom built hanger, hand and free motion embroidery. Click on image to enlarge.)

Every year Gallery 80808/Vista Studios is involved in the annual VISTA LIGHTS art crawl through the Congaree Vista....which is the arts and cultural district of Columbia. It wasn't always such a chic place. Jeffrey Day's article in The Free Times talks about the development of the urban area as well as the 20th anniversary exhibition at Gallery 80808/Vista Studios. The article mentions my work and me, especially the influence of having a studio in this central, cooperative setting and the advantages of annual deadlines....like Vista Lights.

I have two pieces in the group show: At Rest (above) and Milestones (below). To read more about these works with additional, detail images, click here.


(Above: Milestones, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt Series. Hand beaded and stitched with free motion embroidery. Crayon on tea length wedding dress once worn by another Vista Studios' artist, Pat Callahan, whose artwork hangs next to the dress at the 20th anniversary show! Click on image to enlarge.)

My husband Steve will actually be in my studio for the evening reception, Thursday, November 18 from 5 - 10 as I'll be a block away in the midst of a public art quilt project called LOOKING FOR A MATE......the public's donated "mateless" socks on recycled acrylic felt! I'll have more photos to come! Plus....I've just finished (but haven't photographed) another grave rubbing art quilt and am working on two more, large faux-stained glass pieces! Busy, busy, busy....which means I'm very, very happy!

1 comment:

Lynn Cohen said...

Happy for your happiness...all your shows and successes warm my heart. You must be beaming!!!